Saturday, October 30th 2021
NC ASM Goes Virtual!
Virtual Meeting hosted by East Carolina University
Invited Speakers :
Prof. César de la Fuente - University of Pennsylvania
César de la Fuente is a Presidential Assistant Professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where he leads the Machine Biology Group whose goal is to combine the power of machines and biology to understand, prevent, and treat infectious diseases. Current application areas in his lab include developing novel approaches for antibiotic discovery, building tools for microbiome engineering, and creating low-cost diagnostics. Specifically, he pioneered the development of the world’s first antibiotic designed by a computer with efficacy in animal models (Nature Communications 2018), designed pattern recognition algorithms for antibiotic discovery, successfully reprogrammed venoms into novel antimicrobials (PNAS 2020, Nature Comm Biol 2018), created novel resistance-proof antimicrobial materials (ACS Nano 2021), and invented rapid low-cost diagnostics for COVID-19 and other infectious diseases.
Dr. Ariane Peralta - East Carolina University
Research in the Peralta Lab seeks to understand how land use change influences microbial community structure and function. Land use history can positively or negatively influence ecosystem services, and the strength and outcome of these legacy effects may be variable due to the persistence of microorganisms from previous land management. Our ability to manage microbial functions is especially important for enhancing water quality, nutrient cycling, carbon sequestration, biodiversity, and crop production. Our research bridges microbiology, biogeochemistry, community and soil ecology and the applied disciplines of restoration ecology and agroecology.
To register, please click Registration Link.
Advanced Registration for the meeting is $10.
Registration is now free for Undergraduate Students!
Pre-Registration closes on October 11, 2021 at 05:00 pm EDT.
Abstract submissions are due October 11, 2021.
Information for presenters :
- We will try an accommodate your preference on presentation format (Talk/Poster).
- We will notify you by October 13, 2021 if we are unable to accommodate an oral presentation.
- Abstracts need to be submitted as PDF documents and are limited to one total page.
- Abstracts that exceed one page will not be accepted.
- In order to submit an abstract you need to have completed, and paid for, the meeting registration https://forms.gle/h23miaLFCQvUmB4c7. You will be asked at the bottom of this form to include your PayPal payment confirmation to complete your abstract submission
- All authors (including co-authors) and author institution affiliations
- No Images should be presented in the abstract
- The abstract should contain a hypothesis, objective or statement about the problem under investigation.
- The abstract should contain a brief statement of the experimental methods/methodology used.
- Essential results must be present in summary form (even if preliminary).
- The abstract should contain a conclusion that explains how the work contributes to the hypothesis, objective or statement of problem.
Agar Art Contest :
NC ASM is hosting an Agar Art Competition for the 2021 Branch Meeting!
If you would like to make a submission, please upload a photo of your Agar Art using this form by Monday October 11, 2021. You must be registered for the meeting for your submission to be accepted.
Below are some guidelines as outlined by the National ASM:
1. You may use any organism(s), with any type(s) of agar, on any size or shape petri dish.
2. Art needs to have been created safely in the appropriate Bio Safety Level environment for the organism(s) used.
3. Photos need to be digitally untouched, or minimally edited, to improve clarity of the photo. (No False-coloring)
4. Photos should be accompanied by a description that captures the attention of a general public audience
5. Photos need to be high resolution JPEG (minimum 300 dpi)
6. Photos need to be uploaded by October 11, 2021
Cash Prizes will be award to the Top Submissions
Individuals may submit more than one entry.
The Executive Board meeting will be held during lunch, and will the election of new officers. If you would like to nominate someone or volunteer to run for office, please feel free to do so by sending an email to elections@northcarolinaasm.
Presentation Awards :
- Mary Poston Award for best student (undergraduate, graduate, or postdoc) presentation
- Thoyd Melton Award for best oral presentation by a graduate student
- Best Poster Award for, you guessed it, best poster
- Paul Phibbs Award for best undergraduate presentation
2021 Meeting Contact:
Brandon Garcia, PhD East Carolina University : email@example.com